Passion Leads Army: DX 11 and GPU PhysX Benchmark

Multiplayer online shooter “Passion Leads Army” (PLA), currently in development by Giant Interactive in cooperation with the Chinese military, was firstly showcased (as a real-time benchmark demo) during Jen-Hsun Huang Keynote at NVIDIA Gaming Festival.

Featuring full DX 11 support (for the first time – in Chinese game) and intense GPU PhysX effects, this UE3 based title has drawn much attention of the audience.

Now, public release of PLA Benchmark gives us the opportunity to try it out by ourselves.

Update: PLA Benchmark overview at GeForce.com

Following DX11 effects can be seen in the benchmark:

• Tesselation.
  • Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion (HBAO).
  • Bokeh-DOF effect.

As for GPU PhysX content, it includes:

• GPU accelerated rigid bodies (destruction scenes).
  • APEX Particles effects (leafs, sparks, debris, dynamic fog).
  • Interactive and tearable PhysX cloth objects.

In overall, we must admit that PLA demo leaves a very good impression – high-fidelity picture and rich physical effects, coupled with unusually stable framerate.

i7 2600k CPU, GTX 580, 8 GB DDR3, Win 7 x64, 1680x1050, High DX 11 in-game preset, High textures.

Unfortunately, PLA does not allow us to measure performance of CPU execution of PhysX effects – if PhysX is disabled in driver, only “PhysX OFF” option will be available in-game.

Now, the only question remains – how to download it? Several Chinese websites are offereing download mirrors, for example:

Plagame.cn (direct link) or games.sina.com (direct link).

Update: More mirrors – Gamefront, drivetoGo, GeForce.com (new).

Note: Installer can be switched to English language. Benchmark itself also has English interface.

And don’t forget to share your benchmark results !

P.S. Passion Leads Army is slated to be released in Q4 2012.

May 29th, 2012 at 1:37 am

Posted in PhysX Games

Tagged with , , , , , ,

23 Responses to 'Passion Leads Army: DX 11 and GPU PhysX Benchmark'

1. Very cool. DOF could use a bit of work.

Although I have never seen a completely satisfactory realtime(rasterized etc) DOF.

David Black

29 May 12 at 2:00 am

2. Fantastic! :D but the download is too slow (25~50 kB/s). :S Any fast download?

nuninho1980

29 May 12 at 2:53 pm

3. Fast download mirror here:

Stefan

29 May 12 at 7:07 pm

4. Stefan: Fast download mirror here:http://www.gamefront.com/files/21766926/StefansMirror_PLA_Benchmark525_zip

:) but it’s currently unavailable download.

nuninho1980

29 May 12 at 9:51 pm

5. Here is a fast mirror: http://www.drivetogo.de/lx79/

Abbadon

29 May 12 at 10:25 pm

6. Results:

AVG: 19.9
    MAX: 28.5

NTB: Core i7 Q740 1.73-2.93GHz, Geforce GT425M, 4GB RAM
    Setting: DX11 High, PhysX off

Where is possible to set PhysX level? I don’t see any options in benchmark and I didn’t find any switch variable in configuration files. I have set PhysX to GT425M in NVIDIA driver, but benchmark display PhysX as closed in results.

29 May 12 at 10:32 pm

7. i5 2500k, GTX 680, 8 GB DDR3, Win 7 x64, 1920×1080, High DX 11 in-game preset, High textures, FXAA.

AVG: 79.5
    MAX: 124.4

applejack

30 May 12 at 12:09 am

8. ^ PhysX High (forgot to mention)

wish they mentioned min fps as well…

applejack

30 May 12 at 3:34 am

9. mareknr
    Probably, they have implemented minimum specs requirement.
    For example, PhysX is auto disabled for AMD users as well.

30 May 12 at 8:25 am

10. @Zogrim: You are probably right. I will try it on PC during weekend. Also I’m wondering if there is any SLI profile for this benchmark…

30 May 12 at 1:27 pm

11. does it work with hybrid physx?

some1

30 May 12 at 7:41 pm

12. Avg: 39.2
    Max: 72.7

Maxed out @ GTX 460 & E8400. :P

Anon

31 May 12 at 8:59 pm

13. i7 930 @ 4GHz, EVGA GTX 670 FTW + EVGA GTX 460 FTW, 12GB DDR3-1600, Intel 120GB 320 SSD, 5 x Samsung SpinPoint 1TB F3 RAID0, Win 7 x64, 1920×1080

DX 11 High, Textures: High, Shadows: On, Post Process: On, PhysX: High

AA Off: Avg 100.5 – Max 144.5
    FXAA High: Avg 97.2 – Max 138.4
    4xMSAA: Avg 75.5 – Max 114.9
    8xMSAA: Avg 73.4 – Max 109.4

xDee xDee

1 Jun 12 at 4:53 am

14. I tried running the benchmark at 5760×1080 but it doesn’t work very well. I am surprised how moving from no AA to High FXAA and moving from 4xMSAA to 8xMSAA really doesn’t impact the performance very much. A little odd I would expect a much bigger impact moving from each AA mode.

xDee xDee

1 Jun 12 at 6:11 am

15. xDee xDee:

You aren’t worried because sounds your CPU doesn’t bottleneck. ;)

1920×[email protected] + all max’s with PhysX
    Avg: 40.1 fps
    Max: 64.7 fps

PS: I’m very happy for CRT monitor 21″ Samsung SyncMaster 1100P+. :D

nuninho1980

1 Jun 12 at 2:15 pm

16. nuninho1980:My specs: stocks both AMD X6 1055T and GTX [email protected] speed-296.10WHQL (default)
    1920×[email protected] + all max’s with PhysX
    Avg: 40.1 fps
    Max: 64.7 fps

PS: I’m very happy for CRT monitor 21″ Samsung SyncMaster 1100P+.

ooh! Physx high, sorry. ;)

nuninho1980

1 Jun 12 at 2:22 pm

17. My specs:

Inte Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz)
    Gainward GTX460 GLH SLI
    8GB RAM

Results:

3D off
    AVG 72.9
    MAX 116.9

3D on
    AVG: 72.9
    MAX: 106.8

Settings: 1280×720, DX11 (High specs), PhysX Normal

As I wrote before, I don’t have posibility to set PhysX to another level. It’s automaticly set to Normal. Where do you have theese settings? I didn’t see resolution settings too. I can only choose DX9 (low specs), DX9 (middle specs) or DX11 (high specs).

Also interesting is that there is almost no different between 3D on and 3D off. So it’s seen that SLI is working well according to NVIDIA Inspector, but 3D results are showing something else. Now I don’t know if SLI is really working or not.

2 Jun 12 at 10:00 am

18. mareknr: Where do you have theese settings?

You can open in-game menu by pressing “Esc” before starting benchmark

2 Jun 12 at 2:31 pm

19. My specs:

Inte Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz)
    Gainward GTX460 GLH SLI (SLI didn’t work, obviously first GTX460 was used for graphics and second for PhysX)
    8GB RAM