PhysX 3.1 is ready for download, introduces public binary SDK for Android

Following previosly revealed roadmap, NVIDIA has updated 3.x generation of PhysX physics engine to version 3.1

nvidia-physx

List of publicly available free binary PhysX SDKs includes SDK for Windows PC, Linux, Mac OSX and, for the first time, Android platforms.

Update: PhysX SDK 3.1.1 is available for download

Update #2: PhysX SDK 3.2 Beta released

PhysX SDK 3.1 Release Notes:

General

• VC10 support has been introduced.
  • VC8 support has been discontinued.
  • Upgraded GPU tech to CUDA 4.
  • Various improvements to Foundation and classes shared with APEX.
  • Extensions, Character Controller and Vehicle source code made available in binary distribution.
  • Namespaces cleaned up.
  • Cleaned up a large number of warnings at C++ warning level 4, and set SDK to compile with warnings as errors.
  • No longer passing NULL pointers to user allocator to deallocate.
  • Added x86,x64 suffix to PxTaskCUDA.dll
  • Removed boolean return value from PxScene::addActor(…), and similar API calls.
  • Removed individual sample executables in favor of SampleAllInOne from PC and console builds.
  • Fixed alpha blending in samples.
  • Simplified some code in samples.
  • Improved ambient lighting in samples.
  • Made samples work with older graphics cards.
  • Renamed some XBOX 360 specific files and folders.
  • Improved and added more content the user’s guide.

Cloth

• A new solution for simulating cloth and clothing.

New PxCloth cloth solver in SDK 3.1 is a rewrite of the PhysX 2.x deformables, oriented on clothing simulation. It is promised to offer better performance (especially on consoles) and cloth behaviour, but at this point lacks several features, like softbodies, tearing, pressure and collision with regular rigid bodies (special “conic capsules” are provided instead).

However, as we were told, missing options will be added in future iterations of PhysX 3 cloth solver.

Deformables

• Deformables are deprecated and will be removed in the next release.

Rigid Bodies

• Rigid Body: High performance alternative convex narrow phase code available to source licensees. See PERSISTENT_CONTACT_MANIFOLD in the code.
  • Significant advancements in the continuous collision detection algorithm.
  • A large number of misc. bug fixes and optimizations.
  • Added support for vehicles with more than one chassis shape.
  • Fixed swapped wheel graphs in sample vehicle.
  • Fixed a crash bug in the tire model.
  • Optimizations and robustness improvements for articulations.
  • Added sleep code for articulations.
  • Solver iteration count for articulations.
  • Articulation limit padding configurable.
  • Fixed crashing of single link articulations.
  • Added articulation documentation.
  • The reference count of meshes does now take the application’s reference into acount as well and thus has increased by 1 (it used to count the number of objects referencing the mesh only). Note that a mesh does only get destroyed and removed from the list of meshes once the reference count reaches 0.
  • Constraint solver optimizations.
  • Removed the angular velocity term in the joint positional drive error formula.
  • Fixed D6 joint linear limits being uninitialized.
  • Expanded manual sections on joints.
  • Improved behavior of character controller on steep slopes.
  • Binary serialization now saves names.
  • Added reference doc for PxSerializable.
  • Fixed bug related to removing elements of an aggregate.
  • Fixed bug in capsule sweep versus mesh.
  • Improved reference doc for PxSceneQueryHitType.
  • Fixed autowake parameter sometimes being ignored.
  • Fixed some slow moving bodies falling asleep in midair.
  • Fixed missing collisions after a call to resetFiltering.
  • Fixed broken autowake option in setAngularVelocity.
  • Added some helper code to the API.
  • Removed some descriptors from API.
  • Improved documentation and error messages associated with running out of narrow phase buffer blocks.

Particles

• Particle index allocation removed from SDK. Added index allocation pool to extensions.
  • Replaced GPU specific side band API PxPhysicsGpu and PxPhysics::getPhysicsGpu() with PxParticleGpu.
  • Memory optimizations on all platforms and options to reduce memory usage according to use case with new per particle system flags:
    • PxParticleBaseFlag::eCOLLISION_WITH_DYNAMIC_ACTORS
    • PxParticleBaseFlag::ePER_PARTICLE_COLLISION_CACHE_HINT
  • Fixed rare crash appearing with multi-threaded non-GPU particle systems and rigid bodies.
  • Fixed particles leaking through triangle mesh geometry on GPU.
  • Fixed fast particles tunneling through scene geometry in some cases.
  • Fixed erroneous collision of particles with teleporting rigid shapes (setGlobalPose).
  • Fixed particle sample behavior with some older GPU models.
  • Fixed a GPU particle crash bug.

PhysX SDK 3.1 is available for download at Developer Support Center.

If you are experiencing trouble with registration of PhysX Developer account, please refer to our registration guide.

October 4th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Posted in PhysX SDK

Tagged with , , ,

20 Responses to 'PhysX 3.1 is ready for download, introduces public binary SDK for Android'

1. This note is funny:

:-)

4 Oct 11 at 7:12 pm

2. Sigh, I would almost consider upgrading now. Except no cloth tearing? Cloth can be used for things besides clothing… cob webs etc are cool..

(plus it is nice to have the option of using APEX at some point).

David Black

4 Oct 11 at 9:32 pm

3. Also they didnt mention GPU support for the new clothing stuff(or even the deprecated deformables?)… Which I assume is present?

David Black

4 Oct 11 at 9:37 pm

4. David Black: GPU support for the new clothing stuff

Yep, already in the SDK.
    I was also told, that new solver is multi-core CPU friendly too).

As for missing functionality, some will be added in the future, some introduced in another solver, maybe

4 Oct 11 at 9:46 pm

5. any info on apex for sdk 3.x?

quaikohc

6 Oct 11 at 1:59 pm

6. quaikohc: any info on apex for sdk 3.x?

Current plan is APEX 1.2, afaik.

6 Oct 11 at 3:00 pm

7. Just downloaded and unzipped the 3.1 SDK. I unzipped the file but I don’t see a setup file. Im trying to use it with 3dsMax 2010. How do I install it?

waxmodeler

7 Oct 11 at 12:55 am

8. waxmodeler: Im trying to use it with 3dsMax 2010.

SDK is for development, and you probably want PhysX plug-in.

They are located at: [Downloads] -> [APEX] -> [APEX DCC Clothing Plugins]

7 Oct 11 at 1:17 am

9. I already have the plugin installed, but I think I see on some of the youtube stuff that the SDK has more functions than the plugin. Like I see some stuff about fluids and automobile simulations and I see a menu interface on the right side of max that I don’t get in the physx plugin. Am I missing something? If I understand, the SDK will allow me to develop custom applications, and not just simulations for animations. Is this correct?

waxer

7 Oct 11 at 3:46 am

10. waxer: Am I missing something?

There was old PhysX plug-in, with different interface and more features, like fluids

waxer: Is this correct?

Yes, you can develop custom integration.
    But that will require advanced programming skills, so I would suggest to start with studying PhysX Guide (SDK documentation) and tutorials like these

7 Oct 11 at 8:56 am

11. Hmmm. Your advice is good advice. But what I really need to know is how to get this programming platform up and running as step one.

I unzipped the folder and really would just like to know how to get the system up and running. Where do I need to paste the files so that max can access them.

If this is just too freshman a question for this forum I understand. Maybe I can get some help elsewhere. In the meantime I will follow the link you provided. Maybe you have answered my inquiry thereby.

Thanks again

waxer

7 Oct 11 at 11:30 pm

12. waxer: Where do I need to paste the files so that max can access them

It won’t work that way. You can’t copy some files and make it work automatically – you need to write a your own custom PhysX SDK wrapper for 3ds Max.

Check out that PhysX old plug-in (first link in previous post), btw – it is available with source code. Can’t image a best way to start.

waxer: Maybe I can get some help elsewhere.

I personally don’t have knowledge you need, sorry.

7 Oct 11 at 11:54 pm

13. Most important aspect for me:

Is there GPU support for rigid dynamics?

Or do I have to wait for 3.2?

Black M@mba

10 Oct 11 at 11:47 am

14. Black M@mba: Is there GPU support for rigid dynamics?

Not in SDK 3.1

There will be working GPU Rigid Bodies in APEX 1.1 (as somewhat standalone module), so I believe you’ll have to wait a little until they will be implemented in PhysX SDK.

10 Oct 11 at 2:34 pm

15. i think they forgot to say that the minimal android version yur device should have is 2.3, which is a big turn off for me (my galaxy S is 2.2 :/). I can try and upgrade to 2.3 but why not give support 2.2 and below? maybe if they are using nativeactivity, other thn that doesnt make much sense

ValdirSalgueiro

14 Oct 11 at 5:27 am

16. @ValdirSalgueiro
    The version is defined (in any app) in AndroidManifest.xml

9=Gingerbread, 8=Froyo

That’s the easy part – then you would need an OpenGL proxy that transforms S3TC to PVRTC as the samples are hard coded for Tegra.

Stefan

14 Oct 11 at 7:55 pm

17. after i posted my comment, i had a lok at the sources, and yes the samples do subclass from nativeactivity that means if you change the sdk on manifest it will crash your app… so i didnt even bother rebuilding it

maybe theres is a workaround (like redoing using “old” ndk) if they arent using another 2.3 specific API

ValdirSalgueiro

15 Oct 11 at 4:47 pm

18. Hi,
    I have just added in a tutorial on how to do basic cloth using the new cloth API in PhysX 3.1. Details are here: http://mmmovania.blogspot.com/2011/10/cloth-in-physx-31.html

Mobeen

17 Oct 11 at 8:40 pm

19. FYI:
    MenWave2 (5000Agents) – PhysX 3.1 in Miarmy Benchmark

Stefan

28 Oct 11 at 6:42 am

20. Hi!

I have downloaded PhysX SDK for Android, ver 3.2.

There are code samples in C/C++. Also I see only 1 android project there – “AlInOneSample”.

I have also downloaded “Tegra – NVidia SDK”. There are code samples in Java, in real Android code with activities and everything.

How I can use PhysX in Tegra, to use all rendering functions of Tegra or any other Android application together with PhysX code. Should I mix java and C++ somehow or is there JAVA package for PhysX?

Thanks