NVIDIA APEX release is coming close

It seems that NVIDIA has finally decided to make APEX available for broader audience.

UPDATE: NVIDIA APEX 1.0 Beta released

Main APEX page on Developer Website was updated with following statement

APEX 1.0 beta provides access to APEX Destruction and Clothing. The NVIDIA APEX 1.0 (beta) tools and binary SDK are 100% free and can be used in both commercial and non-commercial projects. APEX is available for immediate download by all registered PhysX developers.

So, APEX Clothing and APEX Destruction modules are about to be released with authoring tools (new 3ds Max/Maya plug-ins and PhysXLab) and APEX runtime SDK (with all docs and tutorials) – this mean that developers will gain the ability to freely integrate APEX into their engines.

According to our sources, APEX 1.0 Beta release will happen this week (despite of quoted text above, it is not yet available).

Update: PhysXLab Beta was released, the rest will follow soon.

Update #2: New PhysX plug-ins for 3ds Max and Maya are released

March 9th, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Posted in PhysX Tools

Tagged with

11 Responses to 'NVIDIA APEX release is coming close'

1. A very good news, I wonder the how will affect the community

Stefem

9 Mar 11 at 8:31 pm

2. http://www.sendspace.com/file/f00je2

you could try these .Apx files 1 is cloth , 1 is buggy and the rest are destructibles, not sure about if they 100% work but I got a wall running but it was using cpu so it was so slow, and buggy. give it a try if you don’t like waiting! just import the files into UDK

Royce

10 Mar 11 at 3:20 am

3. I’m hyped about the cloth actually, and really curious how controllable will it be, and how will it handle high-res sims.

Hristo Velev

10 Mar 11 at 12:20 pm

4. Hristo Velev:

Cloth should be really good, I think it’s based on vertex shader and how many cuda cores a gpu has got, say 448 that would yield about 400+ cloth’s in a scene, not sure about tearable,I think it runs 1 cloth per cuda core, But I could be wrong.

Royce

10 Mar 11 at 12:44 pm

5. Royce: Cloth should be really good, I think it’s based on vertex shader and how many cuda cores a gpu has got

30+ cloth pieces with ~1000 cloth vertices each – 60 fps on C2Q CPU. On GPU it was faster, but not significantly.

10 Mar 11 at 1:16 pm

6. Zogrim: Cloth in PhysX SDK 2.8.4 (and APEX Clothing too) is fairly good optimized for CPU.. here is an APEX scene I’ve tested half-a-year ago.

Wow that’s cool dude!So my intel core 2 quad should handle things fairly well even though it’s dated two years and a entry level chip at that. I’m guessing the gpu accelleration programming is of course not fully complete until PhysX 3.0 or 2.9 or whatever the hell number comes next , I tried novodex rocket 1.1(the faster one) and colliding multiple cloth sheets was a bad idea, I hope in the future simultaneous cloth collisions will be much faster! in fact Physx sdk was not pulling as much impacts for cloth as I though it could do since it’s basically raw PhysX code & also is this true? “APEX 1.0 Beta release will happen this week” that means today is thursday leaving only friday! saweet

Royce

10 Mar 11 at 1:58 pm

7. Well PhysX Lab seems available now and it also outputs to a moderatly readable XML format for destructables.

Although so far no sign of any .h files or file format documentation which would help independant use of APEX…

David Black

12 Mar 11 at 3:21 am

8. David Black:

APEX was uploaded partially, no plug-ins and APEX SDK yet.

But SDK docs are saying – “The APEX SDK comprises a set of C++ header files that define the SDK public API, a set of binary libraries that implement the functionality, as well as documentation of the API and of the functionality provided.”

Also, how many sub-cathegories do you see in “APEX” category ? Only “APEX PhysX Lab Beta” ?

12 Mar 11 at 10:04 am

9. Yeah, I see just two copies of PhysXLab, one in the root APEX folder and one identical set of PhysX lab installers in the PhysXLab sub folder.

Looks to be quite a useful app, even on its own. Not sure about the “APEX Asset” section though, seems to be for fluid debris generation. Guess I should read the docs(which look surprisingly useful).

Would be cool if I could figure out a way to get fractured meshes into Blender as well. It could make a very useful general modeling tool as well.

David Black

12 Mar 11 at 3:54 pm

10. I mean the “APEX Asset” section within PhysXLab…

David Black

12 Mar 11 at 3:56 pm

11. David Black: #

Yeah, I see just two copies of PhysXLab

Ok, thanks)
    And it’s working normally to you ? Mine is not remembering several parameters (Seems Variation and Noise, as example), keeps resetting them to 0 no matter what I enter.
    Update: Sorted it out. PhysXLab is not very friendly with non-english regional formats.

David Black: Not sure about the “APEX Asset” section though, seems to be for fluid debris generation.

Not only particles, it also contains composite forcefields – Wind and Explosion libraries. Not much info in the docs however.

12 Mar 11 at 4:08 pm