Post-GDC 2011: new APEX Destruction video showcases GPU rigid bodies

NVIDIA has uploaded several new videos, showcasing APEX Destruction module in action.

First one is demonstrating long-anticipated feature – GPU accelerated rigid body simulation.

This is actually the first time, when GPU rigid bodies are presented as part of APEX module.

Second video contains a scene where some sort of museum environment get blown to pieces. According to a title – this will be a benchmark

Looks better and more natural than previous APEX D demos, actually.

Update: new video – “Authoring a partially destructible wall in PhysXLab”

Comparing this video to a previous one, you can notice restyled interface (personally, I never liked those big clumsy icons) and enhanced layout (for example, “Preview Depth” switch was moved to tools panel).

Update #2: new video – “Art Gallery Destruction Demo in UE3 using APEX Destruction with GRB’s”

This video is showcasing art gallery level, familiar by second video, but now as real gameplay sequence. According to description, up to 10 000 GPU Rigid Bodies can be present on the scene.

Both videos were uploaded by a user “NvidiaApexDeveloper”, that likely will be official YouTube channel for NVIDIA APEX framework, so we can expect more videos emerging soon.

March 7th, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Posted in PhysX Tools

Tagged with , ,

15 Responses to 'Post-GDC 2011: new APEX Destruction video showcases GPU rigid bodies'

1. Ok, what do we have here:

First video. It seems that they have moved APEX D to support GRB 1.x or higher, previously only smallest chunks had possibility to be GPU accelerated.

Second video. Like the impact damage calculation (for example, concrete piece crumbles bench on the left), but don’t like few jiggling objects that can be noticed after the destruction.

7 Mar 11 at 11:58 pm

2. Very nice :)

The second demo looks very reminiscent of Havok’s “Interior Room” demo (not that I think that its a bad thing): http://www.havok.com/index.php?page=showcase

AquaGeneral

8 Mar 11 at 4:41 am

3. Is it physx 3.0?

SpinGee

8 Mar 11 at 11:21 am

4. SpinGee: Is it physx 3.0?

Probably

8 Mar 11 at 12:16 pm

5. Any idea if PhysX 3.0 uses CUDA “4.0″?

David Black

8 Mar 11 at 1:28 pm

6. David Black:
    Any idea if PhysX 3.0 uses CUDA “4.0″?

Aren’t CUDA 4 features mostly oriented on multi-GPU configurations ? (peer-to-peer memory access, etc).

So even if 3.0 is using newest CUDA, I don’t think we’ll see many improvements, and using more than one GPU as dedicated PhysX card is redundant

8 Mar 11 at 1:37 pm

7. Well I am wondering if the reason 3.0 is taking so damn long is because it has a dependancy on some un-released features.

A dependancy on 3.2 would make a lot of sense, since I can imagine virtual function being very useful for a constraint solver.

As for the video, yawn, same old demos. How about something like the opening scene to Swordfish(guess this could be done with fluids though since the ball bearings are spherical). But good fluid/cloth metal/rigid body interaction would be needed.
    (Plus ideally cloth metel + tearing, when the ball bearings fly though car bodywork, not even sure if that works or not… but it should:-).

David Black

8 Mar 11 at 8:33 pm

8. David Black: #

SDK 3.0 is focused on consoles as target platforms, not GPUs afaik. And optimizations for PS3 may take so damn long)

Also, since you’ve worked in Ageia, don’t you have any contacts left ? They may give you some info on current SDK 3.0 status, I believe.

8 Mar 11 at 8:50 pm

9. Last time I asked I was told GDC2009:-) So I figure it is perhaps one of those never ending things and no actual release…

I just wish they would take a snapshot for public consumption. TBH when working for Ageia the release scheduling/QA was a mystery, I just assumed it was some random convolution of politics above my pay grade.

David Black

8 Mar 11 at 9:47 pm

10. Hmm, might have been GDC2010, we are in 2011 now:-)

David Black

8 Mar 11 at 9:48 pm

11. David Black: #

Last time I asked I was told GDC2009

Yeah, I’ve heard similar about GDC 2010 and now GDC 2011.. so I guess we need to wait some.. more =)

8 Mar 11 at 11:18 pm

12. Looks like PhysX 3.0 in UDK?I don’t like to quote stuff too much but “full APEX toolset will be available to all UE3 licensees and UDK” So i’m hoping this March 2011 UDK will have dx 11 and have the new tools, but i’m just seeing all talk and no walk currently.And if you ever used the Physx destructible tool you already know this is leaps and bounds from it, as it’s rigid bodies and dynamic objects were so so slow.

13. DigitalDemolition: #

Looks like PhysX 3.0 in UDK?

Well, not 3.0 yet, but APEX Destruction may be available for UDK users sooner than you might think ;)

9 Mar 11 at 7:53 am

14. AquaGeneral

11 Mar 11 at 5:02 am

15. AquaGeneral:
    Heads up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lCkB77it-M

They are just teasing us :)
    And I wonder if this level will be included in beta release, as example of UDK integration

11 Mar 11 at 8:16 am