You may remember OpenC1 project (previously known as OpenCamageddon, but renamed due to copyright issues) - fan-made remake of Carmageddon by Stainless Software, based on XNA and PhysX SDK wrapper for .NET.
Update: Version 1.4 is available
Since recently released version 1.3.1 is actually the first one that was able to run on our system without problems, we decided to give it a closer look.
OpenC1 leaves a nice impression – car physics still needs tweaking, some bugs are popping up, but overall feeling is close to good old Carmageddon. And since project is now open source, it has great possibilities for modders and user made content.
- Download OpenC1 v131.zip from OpenC1 Google Code page. Extract files (to C:/games, for example).
- Since archive above includes only engine files, we need to provide game data too. This can be:
- Placeholder content for OpenC1 (includes one coarse level almost without textures, and one car model). Download OpenC1_Data.zip from here.
- Actual levels, sounds and models from Carmageddon demo or even a full game. Copy “DATA” folder from Carmageddon installation.
- Now, OpenC1 runtimes need to be linked with game data.
Place Data folder to whatever location you wish (C:/games/openc1, for example). Set the “Path to load data from” in OpenC1Settings.txt to point on it.
- Check readme.txt for hotkeys and run OpenC1.exe. If you have encountered any problems, report them here.
Note: If you want a quick start, we have prepared our own custom pack – it includes latest OpenC1 1.3.1 engine and content from Camageddon 1 demo.