Preliminary PhysX FleX integration into Unreal Engine 4 is available

NVIDIA FleX is the new GPU accelerated particle-based simulation library. The core idea of FleX is that every object is represented as a system of particles connected by constraints. Such unified representation allows efficient modeling of many different materials and natural interaction between elements of different types, for example, two-way coupling between rigid bodies and fluids.

Update: FLEX SDK 0.8 can now be downloaded through GameWorks Download Center

Interested developers may be pleased to hear that NVIDIA has already completed basic integration of FleX solver into Unreal Engine 4, and it can be freely obtained with one specific UE4 source code branch at GitHub.

Standalone FleX SDK and sample demo executable (as showcased below) are also included in the package.

To get access to the UE4 source code branch with FleX integration few steps are required:

1) Create UE developer account and link it with your GitHub account as described here

1.1) It may also be required to link your NVIDIA GameWorks developer account to GitHub as well (guide)

2) Get the FleX branch from NVIDIA repository at github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine

In addition, NVIDIA also offers separate branches with integration of other GameWorks technologies, such as VXGI, WaveWorks and HBAO+.

Standalone FleX SDK can can also be requested for evaluation from NVIDIA directly. Just send an email to physxlicensing@nvidia.com.

In the future, FleX solver will be available as part of PhysX SDK 3.4

March 14th, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Posted in Engines and Wrappers, PhysX SDK

Tagged with ,

31 Responses to 'Preliminary PhysX FleX integration into Unreal Engine 4 is available'

1. Hi. Is Flex available for AMD GPUs too?

14 Mar 15 at 10:19 pm

2. Yes. I can’t access GitHub source code for Unreal Engine and Flex. I have UnrealEngine account linking with GitHub account but I can’t find project. I got following error message:

We couldn’t find any repositories matching ‘UnrealEngine/tree/FleX’

14 Mar 15 at 10:28 pm

3. mareknr:
    Hi. Is Flex available for AMD GPUs too?

Haven’t tried, but docs says CUDA capable GPU with compute capability 3.0 or higher is required

mareknr:

Is this link working ?

I also have PhysX source access linked to my account, but I don’t think this is needed – UE4 forums proof

14 Mar 15 at 11:46 pm

4. “I also have PhysX source access linked to my account”

I dpn’t have this one. I have access to Epic private repositories, but NvPhysX is unaavailable to me. So how could I get PhysX source access linked to my account? Via NVIDIA developer account?

15 Mar 15 at 4:55 pm

5. Problem solved. I linked my Gameworks developer account to GitHub account and I have access to repositories mentioned in article.

15 Mar 15 at 5:26 pm

6. mareknr:
    Problem solved. I linked my Gameworks developer account to GitHub account

As described on this page or somehow else ?

15 Mar 15 at 7:29 pm

7. Yes. I followed information from web you mentioned.

16 Mar 15 at 12:12 am

8. how do you move stuff with mouse cursor in flexDemoRelease.exe ? I can play scene and emit particles but mouse buttons won’t drag / tear objects, as show in your clip. what button am I missing ? :)

applejack

16 Mar 15 at 6:30 am

9. never mind, just figured out there’s a readme.txt.

applejack

16 Mar 15 at 6:33 am

10. applejack:
    never mind, just figured out there’s a readme.txt.

And for everyone else it is Shift + left click :)

16 Mar 15 at 11:08 am

11. maybe we should also provide everyone else with a download link to a stripped down demo package, so to spare registrations hell and huge branch downloads :)

applejack

17 Mar 15 at 3:54 am

12. Can you please answer a few questions regarding this awesome flex demo since you’re the only one Ive seen make a video of it in UE4?

How is the performance? Not practical in a game yet? I see alot of these fluid features are in borderlands the presequel functioning great though..

Are the materials in this demo customizable ? I mean as far as color / material tweaking & also emitter adjustments can be made? Can I use the current flex demo from github to start working on my own custom fx?

Right now I’m using realflow in 3dsmax to render stuff like this but it takes forever, would much rather use flex even if its ‘not even in its final form’

ChimeraProd

18 Mar 15 at 11:05 am

13. ChimeraProd:

Performance is pretty good. Cloth and deformables are certanly game ready, PB fluids are way better than SPH fluids in Borderlands (with advanced rendering and small details like diffuse particles), but will require a decent GPU to run.

ChimeraProd:

You can customize basic simulation settings, like gravity, wind, number of iterations, but not object/materials, and you can’t bake or record the simulation.
    FleX integration into other middleware will require FleX SDK itself and a good programming skills.

As for 3ds Max, you better address FleX integration request ot Autodesk.

18 Mar 15 at 1:34 pm

14. In the website github.com/NvPhysX, I didn’t find the branch ‘Flex’, there are only physx and apex physx source code. And this website github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine isn’t working. Could you tell me why? And I have linked my Gameworks developer account to GitHub account.

He,Wanji

18 Mar 15 at 2:50 pm

15. He,Wanji:
    In the websitegithub.com/NvPhysX, I didn’t find the branch ‘Flex’, there are only physx and apex physx source code. And this website github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine isn’t working. Could you tell me why? And I have linked my Gameworks developer account to GitHub account.

it worked. Thank you.

He,Wanji

18 Mar 15 at 3:05 pm

16. Thanks for the answer, but for the materials you cant even tweak the colors? Like if I wanted to make the fluids blue instead of green/white I cant do that with the UE4 version? Its pretty much 100% coded?

ChimeraProd

18 Mar 15 at 10:56 pm

17. ChimeraProd:

The Sample Demo as showcased in the video above, it is just a standalone demo application. It comes with package, but it is not running in UE4, and it is hardcoded.
    UE4 integration as showcased on screenshot above, has much wider authoring and tweaking capabilities, but is yet missing some features (like proper fluid rendering).
    P.S. don’t ask me about details on UE4, I’m not a programmer :) There is a good thread about GameWorks integrations on UE4 forums

18 Mar 15 at 11:37 pm

18. the UnrealEngine is a dependency of the Flex branch, I was able to download and build the whole thing (UE4 editor) in visual studio. also there’s an unreal project (templates) file included which you can load in editor and use some integrated flex features.

applejack

19 Mar 15 at 4:47 am

19. Hi, i’m new on ue4; i’ve create a github account and a nvidia Game Works account. I downloaded a zip format of the flex branch so i opened the FlexProject and tnat’s does’nt work. So i launch the setup file and built ue with visual studio but FlexProject still doesn’t work i don’t understand why; i’m on windows 8.1 and NVIDIA GEFORCE 710m. Can you help me plz? (sorry for my english)

Tim

29 Mar 15 at 4:14 am

20. Tim:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 710m.

GeForce 710M is a CUDA 2.1 card. At least 3.0 capability is required.

-SD-