The NVIDIA’s “The Way It’s Meant to be Played” (Editors Day 2013) media event, which was held today in Montreal, has brought us some interesting, PhysX related news.

New games are joining the line of GPU PhysX titles, such as Star Citizen, an upcoming space flight simulator from Cris Roberts, fully crowdfunded by fans.

While it is still early to discuss exact details of the integration (since Star Citizen will be released somewhere in 2015), the plan is to have several APEX based features, such as particles, turbulence and clothing, in the game.

Since Star Citizen is based on CryEngine 3, we can expect a “PhysX SDK-less” integration, where APEX modules will work on top of CryEngine own physics system. Finally, some APEX features, such as simulated character clothing, may be available for AMD users as well, running on CPU.

Next one – Project CARS – a racing simulation game in development by Slightly Mad Studios.

The physics in the game is already utilizing PhysX SDK 3.2, and the extra efffects will consist of dynamic particles and APEX Turbulence based smoke.

October 17th, 2013 at 8:03 pm

9 Responses to 'Star Citizen and Project CARS will include GPU accelerated PhysX and APEX effects'

1. So if I have a Radeon I have extra DX11.1 effects, TrueAudio, and maybe Mantle with more extra effects and more speed, but if I have a GeForce I not have these but I will get GPU PhysX.
    Ahhh… It’s time to buy a console. Let me know when PC will be rely on standards again.

frank

18 Oct 13 at 12:11 am

2. Yea better buy a console with downgrades

Derp

18 Oct 13 at 2:48 am

3. On the slide in the picture, it says “PhysX,” but the article says “PhysX-less.” I’m confused now! Can someone kindly elaborate?!

abc123

18 Oct 13 at 6:56 am

4. abc123:

The slides are referring to the whole “PhysX Technology” term, while I noted that APEX will likely work without preliminary PhysX SDK integration.
    This is interesting trend, since such GPU accelerated effects can be now added to any game, on any engine.

18 Oct 13 at 7:33 am

5. “Stay tuned, as we are gathering info about another PhysX technology, announced today – FLEX, an unified GPU accelerated physics solver.”

Is something new about Flex?

24 Oct 13 at 1:46 pm

6. mareknr: Is something new about Flex?

24 Oct 13 at 6:19 pm

7. Zogrim: The plan was to have some Q&A with developers, but I have yet to see how it goes.

Thanks for answer. I hope there will be some some new information about PhysX in COD: Ghosts. Batman Origins is almost here a demonstration is out but for COD there wasn’t nothing new few weeks. I hope it won’t be disappointment.

24 Oct 13 at 6:46 pm

8. Hi Zogrim. Do you have some news about PhysX in COD? Relase day is comming in two days and there is nothing new. No tech video or information…

3 Nov 13 at 10:15 pm

9. mareknr: Hi Zogrim. Do you have some news about PhysX in COD?

Nope, nothing from my side. We’ll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Update: most likely it will be in a patch, not release.

4 Nov 13 at 1:12 pm