Metro Last Light: GPU PhysX effects explored

More or less detailed information on GPU PhysX support level in the upcoming Metro: Last Light title was revealed today in the “Metro: Last Light Graphics Breakdown & Performance Guide” article by NVIDIA.

Update: GPU PhysX in Metro: Last Light

Similar to the previous Metro 2033 game, Last Light features two levels of PhysX integration – standart, CPU based physics calculations like rigid body physics and ragdolls, working on all platforms from PC to consoles, and extra, so called “Advanced PhysX” effects, designed to be accelerated on the GPU.

According to the article, advanced physics effects will include:

• Physically simulated particles such as impact debris, sparks, extra chunks from destructible objects and other types of environmental particles.
  • SPH based smoke and fog simulation, that reacts to players movements and actions. With the advanced physics disabled, players will see only pre-backed non-interactive animation instead of real-time simulation.
  • Interactive cloth objects, such as banners, flags and drapes. Yet again, without advanced PhysX option enabled, most cloth will remain pre-animated or static.
  • Dynamic forcefields, such as shockwaves from grenade explosions, that will affect all types of the PhysX effects decribed above, for example, repell all nearby particles and rigid bodies upon detonation.

Looks solid and it seems that PhysX effects in Last Light will end up being more vibrant and diverse than in previous Metro title.

As always, you can expect full PhysX review here on PhysXInfo.com short after Metro: Last Light release, which will happen this week.

May 13th, 2013 at 9:59 pm

11 Responses to 'Metro Last Light: GPU PhysX effects explored'

1. This looks good, I can’t wait to get this game. Finally I can put my 670 to good use.

Taylor

17 May 13 at 12:56 am

2. yes @Taylor I can also use my GTX 660 OC

Bhaskar

17 May 13 at 1:55 pm

3. I got min 5-6 fps after explosion because GTX 480 (320.14beta) can’t work PhysX despite only 700MB VRAM used but yes CPU. :(

1024×768 – all max settings with advanced physics enabled except SSAA-disabled and motion blur-low

How do I change to GPU for PhysX??

nuninho1980

17 May 13 at 5:32 pm

4. and what about hybrid physx ,was it work?

some1

17 May 13 at 9:20 pm

5. Game runs pretty good on my gtx680 (~60fps, SSAA off).
    but it seems to me that PhysX simulation is using relatively low “tick-rate”, as particles animation looks much slower than the actual FPS.

always looking forward to your next physx video comparison !

applejack

18 May 13 at 7:19 pm

6. Please response my message on 17 May 13 at 5:32 pm.

HEEEEELP!!

nuninho1980

20 May 13 at 3:06 am

7. nuninho1980
    #1 check with PhysX Visual Indicator – if PhysX effects running on CPU or GPU
    #2 Enable GPU acceleration in drivers, if not yet
    #3 Reinstall GPU drivers and PSS
    #4 Lower graphics settings in game, especially tesselation
    #5 No idea.. runs fine on my system

20 May 13 at 9:05 am

8. ok, my PhysX Visual Indicator: CPU. I will try…

my specs:

#2 Enable GPU acceleration in drivers, if not yet
    #3 Reinstall GPU drivers and PSS
    #4 Lower graphics settings in game, especially tesselation
    #5 No idea.. runs fine on my system

nuninho1980

20 May 13 at 1:06 pm

9. Sorry but NOTICE!! nvidia makes mistake because I found lack of PhysX software option running geforce driver v320.14beta installer. Therefore, I got too slow on CPU.

I have PSS installed… And GTX 480 can work PhysX on Metro LL.

Thank you! :D

nuninho1980:
    ok, my PhysX Visual Indicator: CPU. I will try…

my specs:
    i5-2500K@4.5GHz
    2×4 GB DDR3@1600MHz
    ASUS P8P67 REV 3.0
    eVGA GF GTX 480
    HDD WD 1 TB
    Win 7 x64 SP1

nuninho1980

21 May 13 at 12:56 am

10. nuninho1980: And GTX 480 can work PhysX on Metro LL

Glad to hear that :)

21 May 13 at 9:12 am

11. ;) I have US ENGLISH driver package without PSS option while international package w/ PSS option. lol ;)

Zogrim: Glad to hear that