Hawken PhysX trailer showcases Turbulence and Particle effects

NVIDIA has released an official trailer, that demonstrates how hardware accelerated PhysX particle effects can enhance the visual look of Hawken, free-to-play MMO mech shooter.

Update: full GPU PhysX support will be enabled in March 5 patch

Hawken incorporates two types of physical effects – APEX Turbulence based particle simulation, and also more common impact debris and weapon effects.

While basic particles were available since the release of the game in December (you can check out our preview for more detailed information), Turbulence effects will be fully enabled in Hawken after a short period of time.

However, one can get an idea of Turbulence even today, by setting

"PhysXLevel = 2"

in game’s .ini file

\Users\Documents\My Games\Hawken\HawkenGame\Config\HawkenEngine.ini

In addition, be sure to check out the “Hawken: Advanced PhysX Effects Coming Soon To Free-To-Play First Person Shooter” article at GeForce.com for more detailed description of current and upcoming GPU PhysX effects in Hawken.

January 30th, 2013 at 2:02 am

6 Responses to 'Hawken PhysX trailer showcases Turbulence and Particle effects'

1. Best official PhysX video so far.
    Would be hard (if possible) to beat this one =)

30 Jan 13 at 2:03 am

2. Turbulence effects are really good. Unfortunately I’m not playing MMO games so I hope three will be a sinle player game which will use it.

30 Jan 13 at 9:28 am

3. mareknr: Unfortunately I’m not playing MMO games

Why not ? Some of them are quite good.

30 Jan 13 at 12:44 pm

4. so whats the difference between “PhysXLevel = 2″ and “PhysXLevel = 3″ ? last time you were saying we can use “3″, which I’m now using and works just fine.

applejack

30 Jan 13 at 12:45 pm

5. Zogrim: Because I like only single player games. Maybe I change my mind sometime. For now I have installed Planeside 2 only for upcoming GPU PhysX to test these features. Maybe I try Hawken too but these online games are not for me. I don’t have enough time to play them. And if you play only couple of hours per week or month, you have no chance against people who play it every day. Then it’s fun only for them. :-)

30 Jan 13 at 1:29 pm

6. applejack:
    so whats the difference between “PhysXLevel = 2″ and “PhysXLevel = 3″ ?

It seems that “2″ is the maximum level now. Last time I checked .ini file, it downgraded initial “3″ to “2″ automatically, and all described effects are present on “2″.

mareknr: Because I like only single player games. Maybe I change my mind sometime.

Well, just don’t let your prejudice to steal your entertainment ;)

30 Jan 13 at 3:19 pm