Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: How to restore PPU support with latest Nvidia Drivers  (Read 184027 times)
Enhanced_Interrogator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »

I downloaded the car wash demo and it crashes at launch.

I have all the other Ageia demos, and they run in software mode as well.  So the only program I've tested as of now that actually works with my hardware is Mirror's Edge, whereas before, when I had done the installation method that only used a combo of 8.09.04 and 9.09.30, I could run Fluidmark as well as all of the demos.

Another unique problem I had with fluidmark, back when I could run it, was that I only got about half the score that I had seen on old forum posts of other users with Ageia PPU's.  I typically got a score of just over 1,000, but these people got about 2,000.  I don't think my CPU (a 3.4ghz pentium 4) is bottle necking the PPU because my CPU usage was only about 30% during the fluidmark.

But that's beside the point for now, my main concern is whether games like Cryostasis will detect and use my hardware, because I feel that the only reason Mirror's Edge is working right now is because I have it forced in the tdengine.ini file.

Edit:  I attached a copy of the car wash crash log if it helps.

* rocket_crash.log (58.04 KB - downloaded 228 times.)
mohawkade

Embrace your spark of madness!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »

Ah ha!

Did you copy the older PhysX engines from the 8.09.04 drivers (C:\Program Files\AGEIA Technologies) and paste them in the Nvidia engines folder (C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Engine)?

The carwash demo uses the v2.5.1  PhysX engine and Nvidia has since redeveloped it to disclude the PPU.

Also, (though it wouldn't hurt to include it in the demo) but copy the app for the PhysX control panel (PhysXCompatCplUI.exe, PhysXCplUI.exe into the PhysX common folder (C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common).

OP: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
HD: Intel 80GB Solid State Drive (OS)
      1TB Hard Drive (Game Drive)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6, 3.2GHz
RAM: 8GB, DDR3-1600
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 x2 SLI
Audio: X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card
PPU: BFG Ageia PhysX Card
joeyshorty2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 05:58:21 AM »

I was wondering what happens when you update the physx software, I've been having a problem with Batman since I restored PPU support. Everything else works that I have on Physx, this includes both PPU and GPU physx games. Just for some reason Batman can't Initialize Physx. I was looking to possible update it but I was wondering if I will have to start all over again.
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 07:00:09 AM »

Updates are okay since the updates don't really detect the slight modifications made to it. I was able to update to the latest drivers without any problems.

Though you may have a few annoyances though, such as the demo tab being swiped clean. To add icons to it, you need to do a little registry editing every time you update.

You also may have to go back and replace the engine files, to specific games you use with your PhysX card. So say if you're playing Batman which uses the v2.8.1 engine. Replace the v2.8.1 folder in the NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Engine folder with the v2.8.1 you saved aside from a previous PhysX driver install before Nvidia removed PPU support.

CrashOvrrideSE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 12:37:57 AM »

Thanks for you Tutorial "mohawkade" my AGEIA PhysiX PCI-Express PPU is now working under Windows 7 x64 with all Engines, mayby there will be a  Hack for Future PhysX Engine's

best regards from germany
Powder Trout

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 01:26:47 AM »

How does the ageia PPU compare to using a Nvidia gpu for physx? Im currenlty running A phenom x4 and a pair of 6870s. would i be better off with a PPU or GPU for physx?
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »

better off with a PPU or GPU for physx?
GPU, of course.

#1 PPU is simply not supported by newer PhysX games (Metro 2033, Batman: AC, Alice, etc) and won't be suppored by future games, of course
#2 PPU is slower even than low-end GPUs

PhysXInfo.com Team
Azrael5

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »

I hack physx since 3 years at least. the process is easier from what is described in the topic, concerning with the simple transfer of main updated files to the right folder.

Case Thermaltake Mozart PSU OCZ ModXtreme-Pro 700w MainBoard Asrock 4coredual-sata2; Heatsink ZeroTherm Zen120 CPU Core2 Extreme X6800 3,2 Ghz RAM OCZ Platinum DDR400, 2x1 GB GPU Sapphire HD3850 AGP PPU Asus Physx P1 PCI-Express HDD WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS Monitor Asus VB175T Sound Logitech Z-5500
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »

I hack physx since 3 years at least
So you've made PPU work with PhysX 3, huh ?
Gonna tell PhysX engineers - they are thinking they have removed its support since SDK 2.8.3, poor people  Cheesy

But srsly, creating folders for SDK 2.8.4 (it uses local libraries or per-application ID if needed, not "2.x.x" folders anymore) or PhysX 3 (local libraries) won't do anything.

PhysXInfo.com Team
Azrael5

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »

I hack physx since 3 years at least
So you've made PPU work with PhysX 3, huh ?
Gonna tell PhysX engineers - they are thinking they have removed its support since SDK 2.8.3, poor people  Cheesy

But srsly, creating folders for SDK 2.8.4 (it uses local libraries or per-application ID if needed, not "2.x.x" folders anymore) or PhysX 3 (local libraries) won't do anything.
I think it's not problem for the physx card to run new libraries, if they are demanded physx unit processor operates. In test phase no errrors appear.  I should only test by mafia II if I get physx effects... and I am sure to get them.

Case Thermaltake Mozart PSU OCZ ModXtreme-Pro 700w MainBoard Asrock 4coredual-sata2; Heatsink ZeroTherm Zen120 CPU Core2 Extreme X6800 3,2 Ghz RAM OCZ Platinum DDR400, 2x1 GB GPU Sapphire HD3850 AGP PPU Asus Physx P1 PCI-Express HDD WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS Monitor Asus VB175T Sound Logitech Z-5500
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 09:45:21 PM »

I think it's not problem for the physx card to run new libraries
From PhysX SDK 2.8.3 Release Notes:
"The supported devices are the same as for PhysX 2.8.1 (see below), except that the AGEIA PhysX Processor (PPU) device support was removed"
Games using 2.8.3 and above simply won't recognize the Ageia card, as PPU specific code was removed (thus swapping folders won't help).

Those are Metro 2033, Mafia II, Alice 2 and Arkham City. Try them out !

For PhysX 3 tests you can use FluidSandbox

I should only test by mafia II if I get physx effects... and I am sure to get them
You'll get them, but they should run on CPU in any case

PhysXInfo.com Team
Bourne2008
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 09:02:34 PM »

Hey Guys
at first: thank you mohawkade for the great work. But can you tell us please the 'simple' registry-editing step to enable the PhysX Demos?

@Azrael5: could you tell us how to include the newer versions of PhysX for the PPU?

Thank You very much!!

Bourne
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 09:00:38 AM »

But can you tell us please the 'simple' registry-editing step to enable the PhysX Demos?

Even better, I'll do a video tutorial... following a video version of this tutorial...

COMING SOON!

Bourne2008
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »

Hey Guys
that sounds great mohawkade Smiley

I found out another thing: if you install the PhysX SystemSoftware 9.09.1112 (download may be found on google) (yes, i know it's a newer nVidia driver without PhysX-Card Support (theoretically)) you get a folder 'Ageia Technologies' in your 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)' which contains the 'v2.8.2' Folder with PhysX-Engine 2.8.2. I don't know if there are any games out there using this engine version, but i thought i could tell you this because this version isnt included in any other official release and maybe supports PhysX-Cards.

Bourne
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »

I don't know if there are any games out there using this engine version
Afair, Great Kulu demo, early RayFire Tool plug-in were using it

PhysXInfo.com Team
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to: