Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: question re cpu physx games  (Read 4907 times)
snow

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:38:00 am »

I recently added a nVidia card to my ATI rig in order to play Metro 2033 with Physx effects.

While playing some other games that supposedly only support cpu physx I seem to notice some differences compared to what hey looked like before adding the nVidia. In Mass Effect 1 there seem to be more floating particles on planets, and sometimes the Mako gets bugged and starts to whirl around as if caught in a whirlwind, never had that happen before.

So my question is, do cpu Physx games use nVidia gpus for Physx calculations if they are found on the system? Or will they always do calculations on the cpu, even if a Physx capable gpu is present?
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:50:43 am »

So my question is, do cpu Physx games use nVidia gpus for Physx calculations if they are found on the system?
Afaik, no - just because GPUs aren't capable to do most of the physics calculations (rigid bodies, joints, ragdolls, raycasts, broadphase, etc) from current PhysX SDK package - only cloth, particles/fluids and softbodies.

I've played many PhysX SDK based games with GPU acceleration enabled and disabled, and I haven't spotted any difference

PhysXInfo.com Team
snow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:04:49 pm »

Well it would make sense if a detected gpu is used, even if that game doesn't need one for physics, as that would lessen the load on the cpu...
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:49:10 am »

even if that game doesn't need one for physics, as that would lessen the load on the cpu

Of course it would be better, but now it's just not possible technically.

PhysXInfo.com Team
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: