Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PPU's with latest Nvidia Drivers?  (Read 16681 times)
mohawkade

Embrace your spark of madness!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:42:03 am »

A quick question that has been puzzling me as a proud owner of a old Ageia PhysX card...

With Nvidia's latest driver releases after 8.09.04, I've noticed that users are no longer able to configure between Geforce and Ageia PhysX acceleration. Does that mean that it automatically configures between the two depending upon the game you're playing or does it remain solely on Geforce PhysX?

(Say if I'm playing such titles like: Cellfactor, Bet on Soldier, Infernal, GRAW, etc; would the drivers allow me to use my PPU in those games instead of the GPU?)

(And when playing such games like: Warmonger, UT3, Tom Clancy's GRAW 2, Mirror's Edge, Batman: Arkham Assylum; all these games seemingly indifferent about whether they're using GPU or PPU physics. How can I confirm whether my PhysX card is being used when playing these games, instead of the Graphics Card hogging all the glory?)

My concluding and most perilous question is, am I still using my PhysX card with the new Nvidia Drivers or is it just taking up space in my PC? Huh

Windows Vista Ultimate
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.2GHz
2 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Creative Labs X-Fi Sound Card
ASUS Ageia PhysX 100 Series Card

OP: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
HD: Intel 80GB Solid State Drive (OS)
      1TB Hard Drive (Game Drive)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6, 3.2GHz
RAM: 8GB, DDR3-1600
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 x2 SLI
Audio: X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card
PPU: BFG Ageia PhysX Card
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:38:14 am »

Does that mean that it automatically configures between the two depending upon the game you're playing or does it remain solely on Geforce PhysX?
PhysX System Software above 8.09.04 doesn't contain Ageia PPU drivers and firmware anymore, so yes - it's up to GPU PhysX only.

But there is a way: you must install 8.09.04 firstly and then above them (without uninstalling) newer driver, 9.09.0814, for example. You'll get something like this - link. Through both Nvidia and Ageia panels you'll be able to configure, what to use - PPU or GPU.

But remember - PPU performance isn't fascinating today, and its not supported by PhysX SDK 2.8.3 and above (let's say - 2010 games). Still, you can keep your 9800GT as dedicated PhysX card after next upgrade

Say if I'm playing such titles like: Cellfactor, Bet on Soldier, Infernal, GRAW, etc; would the drivers allow me to use my PPU in those games instead of the GPU?
You can't use GPU acceleration in those titles in any way, cause they are all below PhysX SDK 2.7, and only 2.7 and above were augmented with CUDA.

How can I confirm whether my PhysX card is being used when playing these games, instead of the Graphics Card hogging all the glory?
First - There is a thing called PhysX Visual Indicator, it can show whatever CPU or GPU PhysX is used in certain game (was made to give some clarity to users, still even games with GPU doing PhysX effects are using CPU for many physics calculations), but I dunno if it can indicate PPU work.

Second - there was method we called "Puppeteer method" in Ageia times - if you'll try to reset your PPU through control panel, warning will pop up if PPU is in use.

Still, best way to confirm is to set all setting properly through control panels.

PhysXInfo.com Team
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:15:25 am »

Sweet!, Thanks for the quick reply! But this arouses a few more questions!

For those newer games depending on GPU PhysX, I assume I have to re-enable Geforce PhysX in order to play them (or at least turn the PhysX settings off in the game in question).

Also, I've noticed that in all the PhysX control panels after 8.09.04, there are no PhysX demonstrations to play with under the demo tab...

What gives?

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:42:04 am »

mohawkade
I assume I have to re-enable Geforce PhysX in order to play them
I can't clearly understand your thought  Undecided
If you'll install drivers packs as I said above, you'll be able to choose - play newer games with PPU acceleration (may be sufficient for Mirror's Edge, for example), play games with GPU acceleration, or play them with standart CPU physics only (by disabling extra PhysX effects in game menu)

there are no PhysX demonstrations to play with under the demo tab
Yep, the were removed, cause they only increased overall size of the driver, but didn't look very spectacular.
Demonstrations migrated into standalone download

PhysXInfo.com Team
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 02:46:12 am »

Now, with the latest PhysX driver (9.09.1112), it appears that you are unable to enable or disable your Ageia PhysX card, the PhysX control panel doesn't exist anymore and you're only left with enabling or disabling Geforce PhysX in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Though it says in the driver release statement that Ageia Processors are still supported, how do you know if your PPU is active now?

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:23:06 am »

Yep, I can't find "PhysXCplUI.exe" (PhysX Control Panel Launcher) anymore with 09.1112 drivers.. what if you install this drivers above 8.09.04, will they delete their CP too ?

BTW, signatures don't support HTML tags, use BB codes instead  Wink

PhysXInfo.com Team
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 05:48:01 am »

(Okay, sure thing with the signatures!)

I reverted back to driver version 9.09.0720 and the PhysXCPl.exe still exists, and still supports enabling my PPU. So no, the control panel isn't deleted in drivers above version 8.09.04, that is, until this latest driver came about!

A complaint to Nvidia anyone? Angry

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 12:50:28 pm »

It seems that 9.09.1112 and alike (9.09.30, 9.09.0914) drivers have lost support for PPU completely, in spite of feature list still says "Supported products - AGEIA PhysX Processors (All)".
I'll try to get some details on PPU feature.

Update: Ok, my report was forwarded to "appropriate people", I dunno what result will be though: new drivers with PPU support or corrected description to current drivers Grin

PhysXInfo.com Team
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 05:20:01 am »

Hi everyone,

I would like to let you know that the AGEAI PPU 128MB PCI & PCI-E are no longer support by nvidia altough the driver description of their latest (9.09.1112) driver say so.
This looks to me like false representation / false advertising since in the "Supported product" of the NVIDIA PhysX driver they say "AGEIA PhysX Processors (All)".

See my topic for the official nvidia support anser:
http://physxinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=75.0
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 06:15:02 am »

Thanks for information, but there is actually no big deal with it - Ageia PPU isn't supported with PhysX System Software newer than 8.09.04, and that's almost for 1.5 years - I wonder how you missed that.
If you take a look on my post just above yours - I've already discussed that issue with misleading supported product description.

PhysXInfo.com Team
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 02:24:32 pm »

Hi,

I missed that because the supported product description still say (as of today) that they support it while it's not the case.

Also, the latest physx driver that support the Ageia PPU is not the 8.XX.XXX, its the 9.09.428 (dated 2009-06-04) where you can still active it with the C:\WINDOWS\system32\PhysXCplUI.exe.
So lets say that i'm 9 months late.... it's because i don't update my driver too often  Wink

Also, I would like to know if you have any infos on why nvidia removed the PhysXCplUI.exe function in their PhysX drivers after 9.09.428?

Thanks
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 04:18:16 pm »

Also, the latest physx driver that support the Ageia PPU is not the 8.XX.XXX, its the 9.09.428
Than how I got this, with 9.09.0814 drivers ?  Wink

Dedicated control panel dissapeared (and PPU support completely thus) with 9.09.0914 and above, when they changed folder structures and stuff.

Also, I would like to know if you have any infos on why nvidia removed the PhysXCplUI.exe function in their PhysX drivers after 9.09.428?
I don't have such data.
Maybe they'll correct supported products description when they'll put new dedicated System Software on website.

PhysXInfo.com Team
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 07:55:38 pm »

And.. no Ageia PPU anymore in supported products for 9.10.0129 drivers
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.10.0129.html

problem solved ?  Grin

PhysXInfo.com Team
HelenJames
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 02:54:22 pm »

I think this topic was already mentioned at this forum
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 05:23:06 am »

Forget anything I said earlier in this post, I've figured out how to restore PPU support with the latest Nvidia Drivers.

Will be posting a "How To..." walkthrough soon, possibly in video form if requested enough.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: