Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Batman Arkham Asylum and PhysX  (Read 21995 times)
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2009, 04:57:28 am »

Main page is located here

This game is nearly playable on Ageia PhysX PPU card with PhysX settings set to "normal", but fps will drop heavily at extensive physics scenes.

PhysXInfo.com Team
mohawkade

Embrace your spark of madness!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:16:30 am »

I have also noted an occasional crash or two in the game while playing with the Ageia PhysX card.

For anyone else reading this, Batman Arkham Asylum is playable with the PPU, but not preferred.

While I'm playing during PhysX intense moments (lots of debris: papers, rubble, what not) framerates drop down to as low as 12fps from what I've seen. Otherwise, I cruse around 33-51 fps. And the game does crash from time to time, but not frequent enough to be of annoyance; the error report after the crash (when it does crash), points to the physxcore.dll file.

But it's no big deal, just start the game and resume your profile after you crash.

OP: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
HD: Intel 80GB Solid State Drive (OS)
      1TB Hard Drive (Game Drive)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6, 3.2GHz
RAM: 8GB, DDR3-1600
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 x2 SLI
Audio: X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card
PPU: BFG Ageia PhysX Card
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:34:35 am »

That's usefull, thanks. If you have info about how PPU is behaving with other GPU PhysX titles, feel free to post it - I haven't inspected most of them for PPU compability.

PhysXInfo.com Team
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:11:54 am »

Some new developments with this game and it's compatibility with newer Graphics Cards (GTX 400 series).

PhysX seems to be semi-ineffective when playing this game with GTX 400 series cards, whether or not you're offloading PhysX calculations to a dedicated PhysX card.

A new PhysX Compatibility Patch was released for GTX 470 and 480 cards, link can be found below...

http://www.gamershell.com/download_57634.shtml

However, in my case it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:47:35 pm »

PhysX seems to be semi-ineffective when playing this game with GTX 400 series cards
And what is the problem ? Low fps, bugs, or what ?

For example, here
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3693/msi_geforce_gtx_580_1536mb_video_card/index15.html

GTX 480, GTX 460, GTX 580 tested in Batman with enabled PhysX - results seems pretty reasonable.

PhysXInfo.com Team
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:37:33 am »

And what is the problem ? Low fps, bugs, or what ?

The game itself plays, but there's no PhysX action. Ragdolls and Batman's cape still work (as if on CPU PhysX) but nothing else happens, paper stays in it's place, no billowing piles of steam or smoke, nothing.

However, this was done with a GTX 470 with a 9800 GT for dedicated PhysX; during benchmarking the Geforce 9800 GT is engaged but showed no activity where the GTX 470 is jumping around 82% of GPU usage (Thanks to EVGA and the EVGA Precision tool!)

Going to the PhysX control panel, I switch GPUs so the GTX 470 does all of the processing, and got the same result.

FYI: I am still using PhysX Driver 9.09.081. Sure, using an older driver may be contributing to the problem, but I'm very hesitant to update as I have my PC configured in a very happy place, PhysX-wise. For PPU and CPU games, the Ageia PPU engages for those processes but for GPU games, I have my 9800 GT to kick in for those heavier duty PhysX games.

I'll be doing some more tinkering and post any new results when I get them.

mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 08:21:58 am »

Okay updated drivers to see if I got a result there...

PhysX (on High) seems to work now, but at 9 frames per second and only on the GTX 470.

What's strange is during benchmarking, only 20% of the main GPU was being used at most, the 9800 GT was totally inactive.

What's even stranger is that I have no "PhysX Configuration" tab in the Nvidia Control Panel.

mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:24 am »

Okay, after further tampering, I was able to successfully get PhysX to work with Batman off my other GPU...

...and more!

Amongst my tampering, I believe I have successfully brought PPU support with the latest Nvidia PhysX drivers!!!

I'll be sure to make a post on how exactly I did it as soon as I'm able to simplify what specifically I did.

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 04:54:14 pm »

mohawkade
Amongst my tampering, I believe I have successfully brought PPU support with the latest Nvidia PhysX drivers!!!

Would be interesting to see. However, all the problems related to dual GPU/PPU usage do not look very fun to me  Roll Eyes

Need to redownload and recheck Batman myself, though

PhysXInfo.com Team
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:09:05 pm »

My problem with Batman was found with the older drivers; the 2.8.1 PhysX drivers acquainted with the latest 9.10.0513 PhysX driver are larger than usual.

Most likely they were redeveloped for better compatibility with newer GPUs.

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:06:52 pm »

Need to redownload and recheck Batman myself, though

Just to verify - runs fine on GTX 470 (avg - 67 fps) and dedicated GTS 450 (avg - 78 fps), with latest 9.10.0514 PSS (PhysX set to High)
All physical objects are on their places, judging by benchmark and beginning of the game.

PhysXInfo.com Team
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 04:59:15 am »

Yep my unfuctional PhysX tests were being done with the 9.09.0814 drivers, hence why I most likely had problems.

The 2.8.1 PhysX engine associated with the 9.10.0513 drivers is much larger in size than it's 9.09.0814 predecessor; is what I meant to say. As are the 2.7.6 PhysX drivers.

And PPU/GPU setup may not initially sound to fun, but I am very stoked about it, considering that I have the Hardware Device selected to AGEIA PhysX, which engages the PPU when playing a PPU or CPU based PhysX game (while my dedicated PhysX GPU stays silent). However if I launch a GPU based PhysX game, my 9800 GT automatically engages to glory (and the PPU stays in the sidelines).

No selecting PhysX devices in the Nvidia PhysX Control Panel is required before you play a game! The appropriate hardware automatically kicks into gear for the appropriate game or demo. It's a dream come true!!  Grin

I can play Switchball & Cellfactor, along with Mafia II and Metro 2033 without having to install or uninstall PhysX drivers!

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:12:11 pm »

mohawkade
It's a dream come true!!

Indeed  Smiley So, we are waiting for your guide, in whatever form you prefer.

If it includes downloading and overwriting some files, you can store them at PhysXFiles.

PhysXInfo.com Team
joeyshorty2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 02:17:04 am »

I can't get Batman Arkham Asylum to work ever since I did the PPU on modern drivers patch. All my other Physx games such as Switchball, Cellfactor, Mirror's Edge, Alice:Madness Returns but Batman won't. Is it because I just installed it maybe. It is saying "Failed to initialise NVIDIA Physx.

I don't know if this is just being stupid and I should just re-install. I think I remember having a similar problem before when I tried to run it just on the ppu, I had to totally reinstall the physx drivers which I really don't feel like doing after getting the ppu working.
Just curious if anyone has any ideas
mohawkade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 07:11:01 am »

I'd say first use the v2.8.1 engine you saved earlier and switch between Ageia PhysX and Geforce PhysX in the PhysX control panel.

If that doesn't work then restore the original v2.8.1 engine from the latest install, then tweak between Ageia PhysX and Geforce PhysX again, and see what happens.

Also are there any error messages, does the game boot up at all?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: