Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rise Of The Triad and PhysX ?  (Read 5901 times)
Hameedo

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:48:36 am »

I managed to get my hands on that game, clearly it has options for enabling PhysX and hardware PhysX, but I am having a hard time seeing those effects in action , there are bits of mildly bouncing sparkles when you fire some bullets at different objects , but nothing more than that .. I suspect it uses PhysX to accelerate the usual effects on the GPU instead of the CPU , but not to add extra particles or anything.
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:05:18 am »

Indeed, PhysX effects in Rise of the Triad are pretty shallow.

I've played a few levels and have noticed only one - few additional debris from rocket explosions. Probably, there are more.
As for GPU acceleration, there are not many physics objects to accelerate. Maybe cloth, but it is low-res anyway.

NV has little to no involvement in ROTT, so there were no "quality standards" for the effects to follow.
In any case, I'm planning to post a small review later this week.

PhysXInfo.com Team
Hameedo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:35:56 pm »

much appreciated  Smiley
Hameedo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:10:13 am »

I have a quick update on this game, turns out the launcher settings are bugged , and you will have to force GPU PhysX on through ini modification :

My Games\Rise Of The Triad\ROTTGame\Config\ROTTGame.ini

and force bPhysXEnabled=true
bPhysXEnabledNetPlay=True

After which , several objects and walls will have destructible pieces and debris, as well as a big number of rocket explosion debris.

Also it seems the game developer was collaborating with NVIDIA in integrating PhysX, see this video:

http://youtu.be/U-4BPApx9Jk?t=2m58s
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:58:54 pm »

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind)

PhysXInfo.com Team
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: