Poll
Question: Is hardware physx something that is going to come and go, or become a popular gaming factor?
Yes - 3 (100%)
No - 0 (0%)
Stay about the same % - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Will Physx become more popular?  (Read 4802 times)
hercules71185

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:41 am »

I'm curious because right now I have a spare gtx 260, they sell for less than $50 on ebay right now. So to me it's worth keeping as a Physx card. And during benchmarks it shows positive results. The issue is the lack of games that support it. I figured after years of being on the market something like this should be utilized more than it currently is. I'm already pretty satisfied with my set up. I just am thinking maybe this card will help me get another year out of my card. That is, if Physx somehow makes the popularity contest that it needs.
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:46:50 am »

First of all, I assume you are speaking about GPU PhysX effects, as the PhysX SDK physics engine is quite popular on PC and consoles.

As for popularity of the GPU acceleration, it is actually not that obvious as it seems - there is a huge factor coming in, called - Next-Gen consoles.

Currently, GPU physics (PhysX based, or even OpenCL or DXCompute) is basically not interesting for the developers, since current-gen consoles do not support it, and almost all AAA titles are oriented on consoles.

However, the next-gen will have some GPGPU capabilities, but ! - it does not mean that GPU physics on consoles will become popular.

So, speaking globally, GPU PhysX may become:
* More popular, if GPU physics will become a trend and NVIDIA will follow the stream (for example, port the engine to OpenCL if needed)
* About the same if GPU physics won't find it's way into console games.
* Less popular, if GPU physics will become a trend and NVIDIA will go against the stream (for example, won't fully utilize console GPGPU features)

I wouldn't make a prediction right now, we need to wait and see.
But, of course, since we are on PhysXInfo - so I hope all will go well for PhysX  Smiley

So to me it's worth keeping as a Physx card
Right now, it is worth keeping for sure.
This year, the release dynamics of GPU PhysX games has gone much better
2011 - 2 games
2012 - 1 game
2013 - already 3 released, 2 in development

PhysXInfo.com Team
hercules71185

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:14:19 pm »

Haha, yea being on a Physx site I expected some bias. Which is fine because as you did you backed it up with a reason. I like the effects it gives the game and hopefully next gen consoles utilize gpu physx as well.
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:33:45 pm »

hercules71185

Haha, yea being on a Physx site I expected some bias.
Well, I'm trying to be as objective as possible, but certain amount of bias is natural - it is hard and unpleasant to have a (good) website about something you don't like  Smiley

hopefully next gen consoles utilize gpu physx as well
We'll see, we'll see..

PhysXInfo.com Team
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: