Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Upcoming] PlanetSide 2 - News & Discussion  (Read 21451 times)
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:01:49 pm »

DEVELOPER:
Sony Online Entertainment

PUBLISHER:
Sony Online Entertainment

PLATFORMS:
PC

GENRE:
FPS / MMO

RELEASE DATE:
Q4 2012

DESCRIPTION:
PlanetSide 2 is a MMO first person shooter, telling a story of a three factions fighting over control of the planet Auraxis.

LINKS:
N/A

PhysXInfo.com Team
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 01:22:10 am »

If you are not familiar with PlanetSide series, let's say a few words about the game concept itself: PlanetSide is a massively multiplayer online shooter with class-progression system based on so-called certificates, which can be used to unlock new equipment and abilities, weapons, weapon attachments, vehicle armaments and so on.

Note the word "massively" - in PlanetSide the conflict take place on a single map, holding up to thousand (I believe) players per server. Battles with 100+ players and dozens of vehicles are pretty common here.

Core of the gameplay - control over the territories and resources. Each map contains a net of bases and control points, from smallest outposts to largest fortresses, while it is up to players to conquer those for their faction of choise - Vanu Sovereignty (techno freaks and dirty alien worhippers),  New Conglomerate (rebel scum) or Terran Republic (authoritarian militarists, centrum of order and prosperity).

Graphics in PlanetSide 2 looks not jaw-dropping, but pretty nice and clean. Fully dynamic lighting system with Global Illumination. God rays, metal reflections, ambient occlusion. Massive scale.

PlanetSide 2 is going to be one of the first titles to utilize PhysX SDK 3 (SDK 3.2 to be precise), which is responcible for both client and server-side calculations (collision and hit detection, character controller, vehicle physics). APEX 1.2 integration is also present, as it going to be responcible for GPU acceleration support (among other things). No effects are present in the game yet, but judging by the number of DLLs, we'll certanly see dynamic particles and APEX Turbulence smoke.

Current state of the game - closed beta, but you can buy a Alpha Squad pack to gain immediate beta access or just wait for that one lucky beta key.. like I did)

To summarize: I'm playing for a several months already, and the game looks pretty solid even in current state and is very fun to play. I recommend Grin

PhysXInfo.com Team
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:42 am »

Sony Online Entertainment has announced official release date of PlanetSide 2 - November 20, 2012.

At current point, we have no information if GPU PhysX support will be available at launch or post-launch.

PhysXInfo.com Team
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:49:15 pm »

Anyone wants to try out PlanetSide 2 beta before launch ? We have 5 free keys Smiley

HFFF7HAPERF32TK6CTGE
72X4379Z23DKJ6PCMZHR
3MENCR96EFZ3MFJA2DJN
6HDZDCREDEERH2XJFX92
EF9AT7RM4XFAJFA4KJR2

Just redeem the code on official website

PhysXInfo.com Team
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:24:45 am »

Recent update to PlanetSide 2 has added preliminary support for GPU PhysX effects.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJlTUgZTT8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJlTUgZTT8</a>

Don't forget to check out our preview article

PhysXInfo.com Team
Jakobud

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 09:10:21 am »

Does anyone know if there is a trick to getting Physx enabled in PS2?  I have a GTX 560i and the latest nVidia drivers including Physx that I installed today.  I see Physx is enabled in the nVidia Control Panel.  In-game, in the graphic settings the "GPU Physics" option is greyed out.

Like I said, any tricks to getting this enabled?
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:26:11 am »

Like I said, any tricks to getting this enabled?

310.54 GPU Beta driver needs to be installed.

PhysXInfo.com Team
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:51:49 pm »

What people think about Turbulence ?

"Speaking of PhysX this looks right out of the UE4 tech demo" (source)

PhysXInfo.com Team
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:20:47 am »

PlanetSide 2 is released !  Grin

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb90FBLfPBA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb90FBLfPBA</a>

GPU PhysX support, however, is not available right now and will be re-enabled in a patch.

PhysXInfo.com Team
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:33:58 pm »

As confirmed by Tramell Ray Isaac, Sr. Art Director of PlanetSide 2 in SOE, GPU PhysX support will be re-enabled in the game with next big update, coming January 30, 2013

IzaKillyouDEAD: @PS_TRay Accelerated PhysX particle effects on their way back soon?
PS_TRay: @IzaKillyouDEAD jan 30th patch
https://twitter.com/IzaKillyouDEAD/status/292076303031599105

PhysXInfo.com Team
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: