Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Emulate PPU existance  (Read 14806 times)
joeyshorty2

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:08:17 am »

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there working on a old Ageia physx emulator or patch for older physx games. I still have my old bfg ageia physx card but for the most part its totally useless to me except for Switchball. I have moved up to i7 processor and 580 geforce I don't use it and it just sits there. Still what about people in the future who want to play these old games to their full potential and can't. Processors can run what the old physx cards were putting out now so why not. With 12 games out there that will never be played to there full potential anymore unless you get some old piece of hardware shouldn't happen(Yes I know we love to complain about this with Nvidia's takeover).

Anyways just wondering if there is any word on something like this?
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:01:12 pm »

NVIDIA has already ported all PPU games they want, and I never heard about any fan-based projects.

Also, don't forget that CPU particles were added only in PhysX SDK 2.6.2 - so in older PPU games (Cellfactor, BoS, etc) PPU content simply can't be calculated on CPU. Updating them will require significant effort from developer, so it is simply not worth it.

PhysXInfo.com Team
joeyshorty2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »

I figured that nothing had been done. Considering the only big titles to use solely the ppu is probably, GRAW 1, Infernal, and City of Villians. So I didn't figure there would be a huge effort to be figuring one out. In my searching there was a guy trying to emulate a physx card but it didn't seem he has gotten anywhere with it.
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:19:54 pm »

Meh. Figured that, figured this..

There are no PPU emulators, and there won't be any. The end.

PhysXInfo.com Team
joeyshorty2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:29:29 pm »

wow, I didn't mean to piss you off or anything. I was just wondering. I thought I would come here and see since physx info would probably know.

Also to say there won't be one ever is kind of ignorant, imo. They have glide wrapper emulators now that simulate voodoo card graphics from back in the day because they were way ahead of direct x. So to say its not possible and won't ever be is just silly. It just might be too early for it to be done. One day some dedicated people might be say they want to play GRAW 1 in all its glory and figure it out.
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:51:20 pm »

wow, I didn't mean to piss you off or anything. I was just wondering.
Beg your pardon Undecided I don't like to repeat twice.

Also to say there won't be one ever is kind of ignorant, imo.
Ok, I will rephrase it - possibility of PPU emulator is negligible.
Unpopular device (not like legendary Voodoo cards, for example), full technical details/structure are unknown, closed source API, and most important - poor game library.

PhysXInfo.com Team
joeyshorty2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:10:51 am »

Judging from your demeanor this has been a question that has come up before. Also,ok that is a little bit better of an answer, and basically it doesn't look like I'm getting rid of my physx card anytime soon. I'll have to get right on that process of getting the card to work with modern geforce card fix.
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 12:45:54 am »

it doesn't look like I'm getting rid of my physx card anytime soon
You are keeping it to play GRAW and Infernal ?  Roll Eyes

I presume, you are aware that PPU is useless in recent PhysX titles with hardware acceleration support ?

PhysXInfo.com Team
joeyshorty2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 07:15:44 am »

First I don't have either of those but was thinking of getting them. Also according to Physxinfo.com chart located here http://physxinfo.com/index.php?p=gam&f=ppu has Infernal and GRAW 1 plus Switchball which I do own under ppu hardware accelerated games. Also according to  http://physxinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=120.0 it is possible to have a ppu with modern physx drivers for the modern gpu physx. I wanted to give this a try.
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 09:38:32 am »

I don't have either of those but was thinking of getting them
Ah. Well, PPU effects in GRAW are certanly not the type that will inspire people to create PPU emulators, to see it "in all its glory"

Infernal is a decent game, but back then it was crashing like every 30 minutes while running on PPU. Memory corruption or something like that. Dunno if it was fixed.

Also, I would suggest to try out Stoked Rider: AA too. At the time, it has pretty nifty fluids/snow simulation.

PhysXInfo.com Team
joeyshorty2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 09:44:52 pm »

I will have to give it a try once I get the ppu working with the modern system. Also with the GRAW thing, I just used it as an example but yeah I never played it myself with the physx enabled so I wanted to give it a try, now i might still do that but i won't be rushing to get my hands on it.
mohawkade

Embrace your spark of madness!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 07:04:02 am »

Though if you're thinking of having a dedicated GPU for PhysX emulate a PPU in an older PhysX hardware game, it won't happen as there's no one developing something like that, and even if you try, it'll end up being processed on the CPU anyways.

The only way you can get an older PhysX Hardware game to run on a GPU is if you reprogram the game to do so, not the engine.

OP: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
HD: Intel 80GB Solid State Drive (OS)
      1TB Hard Drive (Game Drive)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6, 3.2GHz
RAM: 8GB, DDR3-1600
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 x2 SLI
Audio: X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card
PPU: BFG Ageia PhysX Card
joeyshorty2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:32:23 pm »

Though if you're thinking of having a dedicated GPU for PhysX emulate a PPU in an older PhysX hardware game, it won't happen as there's no one developing something like that, and even if you try, it'll end up being processed on the CPU anyways.

The only way you can get an older PhysX Hardware game to run on a GPU is if you reprogram the game to do so, not the engine.

I was just curious, also I had a feeling the only way would be to mod the game itself which I am sure is a process that is just not worth the undertaking as most of those games don't have built in editors plus it would be editing the code itself.. Putting the physx calculations on the cpu probably wouldn't be a problem at this point in time because of their power but it would require changing the physx code tremendously from everything ive learned so far.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: