Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Block Fuse  (Read 8464 times)
AquaGeneral

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:18:10 am »

I was initially hesitant to plug my project here, but now that I think about it I can't see why not.

I had spent 40 days (on and off) working on Block Fuse. It is one of my first actually complete games. I created it in Unity3D using JavaScript, honestly if it weren't for Unity I don't think I could have ever created it.

The game is all about knocking blocks off a platform, which in turn makes them fall on the floor and begin to melt. There are six levels, but for those who are interested in the source, they can easily create more (or even remove all of the existing ones and use the project as a framework).

All feedback welcome Smiley

YouTube Video

Intel Core i7 2600K | GeForce GTX 570 | 8GB of RAM | Windows 7 64-bit
Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:03:13 am »

Very nice Smiley

But you certanly need to add more depth to the game - various materials for the bricks (glass, stone, steel, wood, etc), that will affect their physical behaviour; several types of balls (heavy, exploding, etc); more complex rules (limited number of balls, need to drop certain bricks and leave others, etc); more physical simulation (jointed objects ?)

PhysXInfo.com Team
AquaGeneral

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:46:44 am »

Thanks for the ideas. I planned to create at least one substantial update but it took you to help me realize the obvious, make a bigger game Roll Eyes

I'd certainly have to think of some interesting new mechanics, because I am leaning too much towards the Boom Blox genre of games. Not sure when I will start work on that though I know it won't be far from now.

AquaGeneral

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:51:47 pm »

I have started work on the update. I plan on adding new levels, recreating the old levels (make them less plain), add new projectiles (Zogrim's bomb idea is a must) and create new block types.

I have spent the entire time attempting to fix the physics instability problem. When the player shoots at a certain point of a structure such as corners and edges (where the ball is hitting multiple objects on first impact), it causes a mini 'explosion' and causes the adjacent blocks to explode upwards. I have fiddled with every setting and the only solution is to;
- Set the physics to run at ~143Hz, yielding a frame-rate of 30-60 FPS (bad already)
- Set the physics to run at 200Hz with a 1/2 timescale with a frame-rate of 30-60 FPS (at the cost of making the game twice as slow). In realtime it runs at 5 FPS

I keep thinking to myself I need to move on, but the fact is games such as Boom Blox have more than one-hundred rigidbodies, and they maintain a decent frame-rate on the lower-end hardware.

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 06:38:53 pm »

I keep thinking to myself I need to move on, but the fact is games such as Boom Blox have more than one-hundred rigidbodies, and they maintain a decent frame-rate on the lower-end hardware
I bet they are using various tricks to achieve stability, artificially damping motion of rigid bodies, connecting them with pseudo-joints, or something.

In any case, good luck Wink

PhysXInfo.com Team
AquaGeneral

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:39:51 pm »

At long last I solved the issue. I actually spent most of the time recreating the scene in the PhysX SDK, which in the end I stopped working on it because I thought that I should just open up Unity again, to see if I can fix the problem.

Not a single variation of the simulation properties fixed the problem (not correctly at least). I thought I should change the projectile velocity from 14.2 to 14.0, and like magic; the problem vanished!

I then set the velocity to 14.1, and it seemed as though it made the instabilities slightly worse. I then decided to create an automatic test that shoots the projectile at the exact screen position every time. To be accurate I ran each variant 5 times, with the velocity being incremented by 0.01 after each test completed. I've attached two screenshots, showing the difference between the velocities of 14.24 and 14.44. Notice the blocks in 14.24 are shot up significantly higher than the 14.42 screenshot.

The graph shows this paradox really well. I don't know why such the problem occurs in such a pattern, but I am sure it is not caused by the fact that the faster the projectile travels, the more varied of a point it will hit. I ran 5 tests per increment and took the averages to make sure this wasn't a factor.

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:14 pm »

Thanks for interesting story - programming was always looking for me like a walk in the swamp, blindfolded and with pants down  Tongue
Anyway, glad to see your problems solved  Smiley

PhysXInfo.com Team
AquaGeneral

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 09:38:16 am »

Thanks for interesting story - programming was always looking for me like a walk in the swamp, blindfolded and with pants down  Tongue
Nicely said Smiley

For whatever reason I completely forgot to reply to this topic. I have since released a few updates for the game, including countless rebalances and a few new features. You can also play the game on Kongregate now. Much nicer than hosting it on Dropbox Roll Eyes

Zogrim
Administrator

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:16:50 am »

Nice  Cheesy

Is this just a concept, or are you thinking about completing this game and selling it ?

PhysXInfo.com Team
AquaGeneral

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:56:52 am »

I originally made it as a "starter kit" for the Unity Asset Store, though this proved to be a bad idea because there doesn't seem to be a market for it. I then decided to make an update for a bigger Kongregate release, I did this to allow more people to play the game and to also update the Asset Store version.

At this point I am not going to turn it into a bigger game, mostly due to the fact that I want to move onto something else - and whatever that might be I will treat it as something that will become a truly complete game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: