Pages: [1]
Author Topic: APEX Destruction "Support for GPU-accelerated Rigid Body debris"  (Read 5362 times)

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »

I noticed that on the APEX Destruction page on NVIDIA's website I noticed "Support for GPU-accelerated Rigid Body debris" being one of its key features. I am just curious if anyone else had noticed that? Does that mean it's a very safe bet that in the PhysX SDK v3.0 we could expect GPU accelerated rigidbodies to some degree?

Now that I think about it I could have completely missed the fact that this was the intention for APEX in the first place, but who knows.

Intel Core i7 2600K | GeForce GTX 570 | 8GB of RAM | Windows 7 64-bit

Expert Scrounger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 04:45:50 pm »

Well, APEX D version I saw has an option to represent smallest chunks as GRB, but it was not working.

Currently, GPU Rigid Bodies were used only in Batman Arkham Asylum, and there is great article about it, called
"PhysX GPU Rigid Bodies in Batman: Arkham Asylum" published in Game Programming Gems 8 book

Aslo, there is presentation from SIGGRAPH 2010 - "Collision detection in PhysX" by Richard Tonge

which states that rigid bodies used in Batman were designated as GRB 0.9, and more advanced GRB 1.0 system is in the works.
However, I have no information if it will be includes in SDK 3.0 or not.
Logged Team
Pages: [1]
Jump to: